Thursday, March 16, 2006

TWO FOREIGNERS IN TAIWAN SPEAK ON CHINA'S ANTI-SECESSION LAW

Taipei, March 14 (CNA) It is "hard for foreigners in Taiwan" to believe why a country would pass a law that authorizes it to attack another country even one year after China's passage of the Anti-Secession Law, a Japanese tourist said Tuesday.

"It's crazy, " said Miki Yamamoto on the law passed by Beijing March 14 last year to give China the authority to use "non-peaceful means" against Taiwan should the country move toward formal independence.

Yamamoto, who is a frequent visitor to Taiwan and a supporter of Taiwan independence, said: "I don't think any country has the right to attack another country. For me, Taiwan and China are two countries with different political, economical and social systems."

Woo Lee, a Korean who has been living in Taipei for over a year, said of the law that "it makes me as a foreigner very nervous and thoughts of leaving the country are always in the back of my mind."

"The fact that China does not rule out the possibility of attacking Taiwan is vexing to me. I feel it would be an extremely unjust and inhumane act and I cannot see how it will help anything. I don't think there is a citizen of any country who would enjoy that situation of having their natural freedom stripped, " Lee said.