Saturday, April 02, 2011

Tseng tied for second in first women's golf major of the year

Taipei, April 2 (CNA) Defending champion and world No. 1 Yani Tseng of Taiwan shot a 68 Saturday Taiwan time to move into a tie for second after the second round of the Kraft Nabisco Championship, three shots behind leader Stacy Lewis of the United States.

Tseng, who opened the year's first major tied for 10th with an opening round 70 a day earlier, fired four birdies in her first five holes and ended the day with a two-round total of 6-under 138 at Mission Hills Country Club in Rancho Mirage, California.

She was tied for second with 2009 Kraft Nabisco champion Brittany Lincicome and Jane Park, both of the U.S.

American Morgan Pressel and South Korea Amy Yang were tied for fifth, another shot back.

Tseng, who became the world's top player for the first time in her career earlier this year, said after her round that she did not feel any pressure coming into the tournament and was not thinking too much about defending her title.

"I told myself I try my best every shot and focus on what I can do and what I can control and always think positive, " she said.

If Tseng is not feeling much pressure, it may be because her main goal this year is to win the U.S. Open, the only Grand Slam event she has not won in her young career.

She won the LPGA Championship in 2008 and the Kraft Nabisco Championship and the British Open last year.

Life after winning a major has been a lot harder, she said, because "you have more interviews, more people following, " and she has also had a lot more expectations for herself.

But she has grown more comfortable in the role this year, because she has become more accustomed to being the target of people's attention.

"This year I really enjoy what I'm doing, " she said. "I'm having so much fun. I enjoy playing the Pro Am and I enjoy the tournament. So I don't feel any expectations. I feel like I've been here for a long time."

As to her strategy for the final two rounds, she said it was fairly simple: "keep smiling and have fun." (By Chris Wang) enditem/ls